Thursday, October 15, 2009

Midterm Exam

I will email each of you a brief passage drawn from our readings in critical theory (up to Foucault's "Panopticism"). You are required to respond to the passage in no more than 500 words on the blog in a post, explicating the importance of the passage in the broader context of the reading, as well as offering a point of entry for how we might think about the passage in relation to apocalypticism. You might address one of the following questions:
Does the passage rely on apocalyptic rhetoric or imagery? (If so, how and to what effect?)

Does the passage offer us ways to critique apocalypticism?

Does the passage see apocalyptic change as inevitable, avoidable, detrimental, or important for the standing order (of society, culture, the world)?

Your midterm post is be due by Thursday October 22 at 8:00 PM (though you can certainly post before that, once I send you your passage).

Make sure to begin your post by quoting the passage in its entirety; then, move into your response below. You can also link to previous discussions on the blog, if you find it helpful.

1 comment:

  1. (I was trying to apocalypse the blog by posting a lot of stuff at once. I fear I have overshadowed your midterm post. Hm...)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.