I found this photo to be vaguely apocalyptic via the picture's aesthetic qualities. First of all, the colors, in my mind, remind me of the morning, or dawn. This quality relates to the word apocalypse in its signifying a sort of new beginning. However, I don't really think this interpretation of the painting holds much weight unless I couple it with the fact that I also think the clouds look like spaceships. The look of enormous spaceships hovering over the earth, apparently dwarfing the mountain range, up against the soft colors of the sunrise/sunset sort of softens the "scary" apocalyptic factor of the picture. It might seem like a dichotomy (and a stretch), but then again why should an "apocalypse" be a bad thing? Like Calvin mentioned a few classes ago, the apocalypse in the Christian religion was associated with a good and holy occasion. Of course, I'm not sure many Christians would agree with my interpretation of the photo relating to Judgment Day...
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
this is really using my imagination
I found this photo to be vaguely apocalyptic via the picture's aesthetic qualities. First of all, the colors, in my mind, remind me of the morning, or dawn. This quality relates to the word apocalypse in its signifying a sort of new beginning. However, I don't really think this interpretation of the painting holds much weight unless I couple it with the fact that I also think the clouds look like spaceships. The look of enormous spaceships hovering over the earth, apparently dwarfing the mountain range, up against the soft colors of the sunrise/sunset sort of softens the "scary" apocalyptic factor of the picture. It might seem like a dichotomy (and a stretch), but then again why should an "apocalypse" be a bad thing? Like Calvin mentioned a few classes ago, the apocalypse in the Christian religion was associated with a good and holy occasion. Of course, I'm not sure many Christians would agree with my interpretation of the photo relating to Judgment Day...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
These are called lenticular clouds, and yes, they do resemble (how we imagine) spacecraft. Can you say a little more in your post about where this image came from, or where this place is? (Or if you don't know, how the geographic non-specificity of the image might function?)
ReplyDeleteI think it is important to note the color scheme reflected within this small apocalypse. I can't help but notice the beauty of the mountains, as they are snow white. However, the beauty and purity of the mountains is overshadowed by the dark lenticular clouds that are hovering on top. The mountains for the sake of the discussion could represent nature as we know it. Things that we have experienced on our own and have grown accustomed to seeing. The lenticular clouds can be the unknown, as they come and go and reappear in our life. (Just a thought)
ReplyDeleteLikewise, it is important to note the contrast that the red sky is offering to the image. But the time of day that this picture has been taken is what adds to the apocalyptic nature of the image.
We have all heard some variation of the rhyme saying "red skies at night, shepherd's delight. Red skies at morning, shepherd's warning". If not, its been quoted by Shakespeare and in the Bible.
In the Bible, (Matthew XVI: 2-3,) Jesus said, “When in evening, ye say, it will be fair weather: For the sky is red. And in the morning, it will be foul weather today; for the sky is red and lowering.”
For the sake of my theory, the known could be the fair weather that keeps things the same and brings us “delight”. The unknown could be the foul weather that is to come, that heeds “warning”.
Nature has interfered with us many times, inhibiting our ability to live as before and causing great damage to mankind. The idea that this foul weather is looming over us, but we don't know when it will is a great awakening to mankind to prepare for the unknown. Maybe it is best not to know whether or not this picture was taken in the morning or night. Maybe it is better to ask ourselves how we will handle the foul weather.
If you want to know more about the red skies, and how it occurs I have posted the link under here.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/weather-sailor.html