Thursday, December 17, 2009
ABJECTION IN WALL-E
In my essay I will apply Kristeva’s theory on the abject to the 2008 Walt Disney Movie, WALL-E. I will focus on the abject’s ability to “disrupt identity, system, order. What does not respect borders, positions, rules” (247). In our everyday world, the abject remains suppressed in the self, as the self has learned to remove the abject from the systematic order within everyday life. And yet, just as the self’s repelled thoughts are brought into the foreconcious, the abject crosses the imaginary line that separates the object and the abject, and threatens the integrity of the false notion of order and perfection in the world of the self. I hope to show that the abject remains a part of society’s every day life, despite the self’s strong attempt to repel the abject. I will then examine the human’s feeling of abjection towards the trash, abjection to the actual earth, and finally the feeling of abjection between WALL-E and the Buy N Large Corporation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.