Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Small Apocalypse: Chad Reis Bower


In a society of high-strung and hormonal teenagers full of their own hubris, I found a literally "small" apocalypse in my own back pocket that eases everyone for the common good. While walking up to the counter at "Tchop Stop", one of uptown's finest retail establishments, I saw a flash of Panopticism in my everyday life (note: trips to Tchop stop are not entirely "daily"). Though the "convenient" store is well known for not checking the identification card of customers, especially those with beards or of a certain height, any one of my friends wouldn't be caught dead without their fake ID.

My alter ego is Chad Reis Bower, 23 year old resident of River ridge, Louisiana, and without him, all other functions are futile. The incredible event I'm attempting to point out is the stationary function that Chad enacts. Like the supposed guard of the panopticon, my I.D. doesn't physically need to exist at all, but without the calming effect that is derived the security of knowing I'm covered in the unlikely event of questioning, all of my friends are provided with illegally bought supplies until we slowly age or Tchop stop closes it's doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.