I'm writing this post at 4:30 AM: apocalypse time. Is there any other time of the day that seems more apocalyptic? The sky empurpled but becoming orangish gray, the minimal sounds, and the rain right now make it seem like a scene from The Road—but then again I'm not in the forest, I'm not shivering, and the sweatshirt I'm wearing is not (too) tattered.
I wanted to follow up on the discussion that we were having at the end of our last class (resisting apocalypticism one blog post at a time). I was pushing Calvin to consider non-narrative ways of thinking about human life, and I think that part of the reason I was resistant to use narrative as an over-arching structure for making sense of things is that this seems to be precisely one of the things that the genre of apocalyptic literature puts to question.
What are other ways of making sense of life besides 'narrative'? Well, one 'other' form could be poetry: think about how two of the apocalyptic texts we read include religious verses scattered throughout the narratives at hand (either invented or taken directly from scripture). One might propose that when narrative fails to account for things, poetry enters the scene—either to comfort (as in Zeitoun), or simply to demarcate 'chapters', as in Parable of the Sower (so to form the narrative by means of non-narrative material—that is curious). Poetry can be narrative, but it certainly not need be. In The Road, we discussed how many parts of the novel that were more poetic and imagistic than strictly narrative per se: sometimes the prose slips into aphoristic queries, and at other times the language creates a sonic register for what is being described.
My point is that while poetic language functions in relation to narrative, it is not exactly bound by narrative. It might be another way of thinking about life. We have all read poems that are anything but narratives (Gertrude Stein's Tender Buttons comes to mind, or consider the more contemporary L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E poetry of someone like Charles Bernstein, or even Lydia Davis's 'stories'). Poetry is another way of thinking about life without putting life into narrative form. And poetry (or poetic expression, at least) is recurrent in the texts we read for this class: the narratives sometimes pause in order to allow for poetic material that functions differently—in relation to the characters, but also in relation to the page (margins, line breaks, acoustics, rhythm, etc.).
Or think about Calvin's excellent question from two classes ago: are we supposed to read the photographs in Zeitoun as part of the 'text'? It sounds simple, but it's really a complex question and one that takes us right back into this problem of narrative. How does visual material interface with linguistic material? When are images used to assist narrative, and when are images used to create counter-narratives? Can images escape the gravitational pull of narratives altogether? We might have to think about the visual arts to follow this line of inquiry. Does all art abide by the rules of any single form (painting, or sculpture)? For example, should all 'art' have to fit on a canvas? Of course not: we know that 'art' can take many forms, and that to be a 'true' artist this often means exploring the limits of traditional forms, and the possibilities of 'new' forms. Robert Rauschenberg's "combine" paintings use ephemeral materials and don't always abide by the 'rules' of the canvas; so can they be thought of as 'paintings', or do we need a new 'term' for them? When might the idea of 'narrative' be insufficient for how humans are telling stories? (And is this what happens in the apocalyptic genre—or, for that matter, in 'theory'?) So the visual arts might serve as a useful example of a non-narrative way of thinking about life: consider a Christo landscape 'wrap'; or a Jeff Koons balloon sculpture; or a Tara Donovan Styrofoam cup cloud. These art forms resist narrative thinking, but they can certainly still make one think. Do humans need narrative in order to 'think'? I think not; but this is not to say that narrative is useless, but rather just to say that it isn't the only way of thinking. Narrative may be a common way of thinking, but it need not define thinking—particularly when the very narratives of society, language, identity, and culture suddenly change. (Such as in Zeitoun.)
This all may sound like a long, rambling tangent, but I am trying to reflect on our consideration of the use of narrative, especially in relation to Hayden White's "The Burden of History" and with Calvin's recourse to Paul Ricoeur in mind. We did not read Ricoeur for this class, but we certainly could have, and maybe should have, if indeed we want to think more about how narrative functions in the genre of apocalyptic literature and concerning identities in the midst of societal collapse. (Ricoeur's hermeneutics, by the way, deals with 'poetry' quite a bit, so this might be an apt point of entry.)
So there is my 'final lecture' for this class, written at the apocalypse time. Please comment if you want to follow up on any of these points, or if you want to present any modifications, objections, or revisions to what I've proposed here. I really enjoyed our class, and you all helped me think about the questions of apocalyptic literature and how 'theory' can intervene in apocalypticism, while also drawing from its strategies and formal qualities.
I was just thinking about the implications of poetry as not-quite narrative yesterday. Specifically, I was basing the idea off the Yeats poem that I posted, but I also found this one apocalyptic/significant:
ReplyDeleteDemeter, Waiting
by Rita Dove
No. Who can bear it. Only someone
who hates herself, who believes
to pull a hand back from a daughter’s cheek
is to put love into her pocket—
like one of those ashen Christian
philosophers, or a war-bound soldier.
She is gone again and I will not bear
it. I will drag my grief through a winter
of my own making, refuse
any meadow that recycles itself into
hope. Shit on the cicadas, dry meteor
flash, finicky butterflies. I will wail and thrash
until the whole goddamned golden panorama freezes
over. Then I will sit down to wait for her. Yes.
The poem is a reference to Demeter and Persephone, the story in which Demeter, goddess of the seasons, loses her daughter Persephone to Hades--resulting in a division by year of seasons. Every year, for six months, Persephone must go back to Hades, and Demeter grieves and lets the world go to winter.
The myth is apocalyptic, and definitely a narrative, one created to explain the alarming change of seasons every year.
The poem, however, is debatably a narrative. Demeter is the speaker, viciously reluctant to admittance of defeat, then, as the lines continue, gradually accepting what she has to: that Persephone is gone.
However, for this progression, the story, the narrative, is not actually necessary. The feeling-laden poem of jealousy, obsession, and doting love does not require a plot outline. Demeter feels, and shares her feelings, and for the reader, that is enough. There is no timeline of consecutive events, only a progression of states of mind.
Does that count as a narrative?
I'm curious about non-narrative thinking as associative. Even the poem reads chronologically, and the painting--while looked at spatially--can be read in terms of lines, or time spent 'going over it.' Whether your reading a Dean Young poem or looking at a painting by Ad Reinhardt, doesn't time act as the tool in which narrative is implemented into all things? The power of association possessed by the human mind would make sure of this.
ReplyDeleteI am inclined to agree with Mark's post.
ReplyDeleteWhile a poem might not have a specifically narrative structure, it can certainly make a person think of a narrative in which to place the image or emotion that the poem evokes. This is, in my opinion, a very human way of relating to things. when we see a stranger pass by, we often wonder where they are going or where they have come from. as a way of relating to random objects or lifeforms for which we have no frame of reference or relation to, placing them in a narrative seems logical.