

Several weeks ago I was driving on the streetcar and passed the Burger King on St. Charles Ave. On passing I noticed the shopping cart that appeared to be filled with junk. The more I looked at the cart the better I remembered that I had once been to that Burger King and a woman entered and left the restaurant repeatedly. It was when I was leaving that I noticed she was returning to her cart. Once I began to connect the two images I realized that this cart was all the old woman had. It was her world; it was and probably still is her only means of survival. This connection immediately recalled my memory of The Road. This homeless woman’s cart and the character’s cart in the book and film are the same yet in many ways he is gloried as a survivor in a destructed world. Yet, the real homeless woman is a survivor in a world of abundance which she receives only in pity. The amount of money from the purchases of the book could have gone to save this woman. The thought, is I admit, unrealistic, but I simply makes one wonder if this homeless woman is not already a survivor. She is a survivor in a world of moral and apathetic death.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.