I think all of these depressing books are getting to me. I don't know why I thought of this, but I wrote a song last night that now to me seems a bit apocalyptic on a personal level. The chorus is the following:
"It seems I can't love nothing but a love song/So, just bury me with my six-string when I'm gone."
Not only is it one of the more depressing things I've written, it makes me think of those questions people ask like, "If you were stranded on a deserted island, what one item would you want to bring" or "If you knew the world would end tomorrow, what would you do?" Call me a cheesy loser, but I'd want my guitar, and I would want to play a gig. Much like Zeitoun and his canoe, there's something about it that keeps me connected and at peace. Even when leaving the City for Katrina, my guitars were the first things I packed in my already tiny, cramped car. I even took a good bit of clothes out of my bags, so that I could fit more music stuff. My family was not so pleased.
I wonder every once in a while if I could actually survive a mini-apocalypse that took away my MacBook and my iPhone and every other piece of technology that I carry around with me wherever I go. Usually I say no, but I might actually make it with a box and some strings. And maybe a sandwich...
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A few weeks ago, I was writing an apocalyptic short story, and asked some friends what they would bring with them in the case of the End.
ReplyDeleteOf the 5 people I asked, 3 were definite about bringing their instruments--and the 2 who didn't weren't musicians, but still mentioned some other form of artistic outlet, like a journal or a sketchpad.
On the one hand, it may not necessarily seem rational, per se, to pack guitars and sketchbooks in lieu of clothes. But, I think that the artist's soul needs its art in just as valid and necessary way as practicalities, or more so.
In other (less) words, I approve of your desert-island-guitar-choice.
I had always chosen books as a default answer when asked the question "what would you bring?," etc. But then I think that I would want pens and blank paper, to write.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting that the people you (Kerry) asked said that they would choose an artistic outlet as well. I wonder how many people would choose an art-related object to bring with them. The reason I wonder this is because art is not as celebrated in America (as a profession, that is) as it is in Europe, let's say. If that's not a valid statement, it at least feels that way here. Yet, even with peoples' focuses on law and politics and economics etc., with art being pushed to the side, they would choose a symbol which they felt closest to their heart. A picture of family members, an instrument, a pen. Someone should take a survey.
I have re-planned my apocalypse kit to include my drumset. Who knows how I will bring it around with me, but I will. Its Spongebob "Be the Net!" sticker will be a constant uplifting symbol, and the release of emotions and physical energy involved, as well as the promise of constantly improving (even after 13 years already), would be there and keep me going. Thank you Mia, for you have saved my boring and silent desert island.
My apocalyptic emergency kit would definitely contain a good, solid pair of boots. In The Road and in the Parable of the Sower, shoes were sought after almost as much as food it seems. Shoes were bartered and sold, stolen off dead bodies, and worn as unisex shoes even if they weren't meant to be.
ReplyDeleteOf course, my apocalyptic boots would have to be slightly fashionable. Kind of similar to the way Mia would want to preserve part of her "art" even on a lonely island, I'd still want to maintain some semblance of our pre-apocalytpic society that seems to fixate on fashion over function, looks over usefulness, etc.
The boots would be very sturdy, comfortable, and long-lasting but having a hint of aesthetic would remind me of times when things weren't so hell-bent on necessity and utility. This kind of reminder that we once had the freedom to live carelessly would be enough to keep me sane.
------
When prompted with the question, "If you were stranded on a island, what books would you bring?" a comedian answered: "I'd bring a big, plastic inflatable book and a book on how to make oars out of sand."
'Just thought I'd throw that in there.